Monday, April 21, 2025

Slightly less awful but still problematic

While I managed to dig up my actual Nintendo DS, my flash cartridge is still missing at the moment. This has resulted in me taking a bit more time to look more deeply into emulator options.

It seems MelonDS is probably the best along the route to fully getting everything working, and that particular emulator does support overriding the firmware-saved settings for the MAC address.

Unfortunately, it seems I've hit a snag there too.

What I'd really like to do is to get the same MAC address on both my Retroid Pocket 5 and my PC. This should be as simple as entering the same MAC address into the box on both devices, but the Android version of MelonDS has what appears to be a long-standing misfeature and possibly a related bug.

You can't set a manual MAC address, only randomly choose one. Oddly,  even if I choose one, then try to copy it over to the PC, it won't match. Whatever is showing in that box appears to possibly not be the actual MAC address that MelonDS-Android is using. Since the firmware data file seems to also be stored inside Android's locked down storage model, I can't access the file to see what MAC address is actually being used, either.

It's a major Catch-22 in trying to get things working; as the DS's WFC (Wi-Fi Connection) games themselves will tell you, the online data is a combination of the system and the cartridge. Changing out either invalidates everything and you have to start completely over with a new friend code.

So, my reassessment is that things may not be as necessarily grim as I first thought (at least in regards to the Nintendo DS; I'm pretty sure that Xbox and PS2 are as bad as stated) but they're not exactly great, either.1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simulators

 When my father got the Tandy 1000, he picked up Lode Runner to go with the system as it was something we'd been watching the demo for a...